Pets are cute and friendly to keep. However, if you have any allergies or asthma problems, these pets could turn to be your enemies. Pets are known to shed some dander – a combination of dead skin and fur. This can trigger allergic reactions or asthmatic attacks. For people who are sensitive to allergens, it is advisable to that they consider keeping cold-blooded pets such as turtles and snakes since they do not shed dander. Urine and stool from warm-blooded pets like cats, birds, dogs, and rodents trigger allergic reactions.
The pets can also cause symptoms of asthma like coughing, wheezing, and a rash of atopic dermatitis. One can have stuffy nose known as allergic rhinitis. There are a number of ways to reduce pet allergens at home. Keeping off dander at home will reduce asthmatic and allergic symptoms.
Steps will go a long way to reducing pet allergens at home:
- Clean bird cages, rodent cages, or all the areas where pets sleep – at least once a week.
- Try to stay away from the pet while at home. You can have the pets outside your bedroom. Ensure the area they stay can be cleaned easily.
- Frequently dust and vacuum. It is advisable that you do this when someone who has allergies or asthma is not around. For dusting, use a static cloth and a vacuum with HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter for vacuuming. This helps to keep the dust off the carpets and floors from the house.
- Do not allow pets on the upholstered furniture or carpets.
- Keep all the air registers closed. This helps to control the amount of animal dander moving through the house.
- All rugs, pillows, pet beds and other items used by pets should be regularly washed.
- Your pets’ urine and stool could cause allergic reactions to some people. If your rodents such as mice and gerbils are causing such reactions, your family members can clean the litter box. You can also keep the pets in the garage or shed to avoid the reactions.
In some cases, one could be forced to create a new home for the pets. This is advisable if the symptoms are severe. Pets should be trained in a very good manner so as to behave correctly in the house. Ensure that your pets learn basic living rules so as to avoid spreading dander and other allergens in the house. These are effective ways to help you reduce pet allergens at home.